Your Responsibilities Explained

Your Responsibilities

What are the Responsibilities of an Owner Proposing a Loft or Basement Conversion or Ground Floor Extension?

Any building works likely to have a structural impact on an existing or new Party Wall will require formal written notice to each of the affected neighbours and owners at least two months before starting works or one month for new unshared boundary walls or for excavation works.

Any structural work to a shared ceiling or floor, requires similar written notice to any adjoining owners and occupiers living above or below your property.

Does My Proposed Building Project Require a Party Wall Agreement?

  • Works requiring a formal party wall agreement include the modification of a shared structural wall to bear a structural beam, for example for a loft or basement conversion.
  • The insertion of damp proof course as is often required for a ground floor extension or basement conversion, even if only to one side of the party wall.
  • Raising or altering a party wall.
  • Demolishing and rebuilding a party wall.
  • Underpinning a party wall.
  • Inserting a flashing into an adjoining building.
  • Excavating foundations within three meters and lower than the foundations of any neighbouring structure.
  • Excavating foundations within six meters and below a line drawn down at 45o from the bottom of and neighbouring foundations.
  • Any new wall on the line of junction (boundary) between two properties.